Re: [TowerTalk] New Zoning Regulations

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Zoning Regulations
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:14:03 -0700
From: "Mike Mattes" <rfman45@hotmail.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 9:55 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] New Zoning Regulations

> I just found out my county is considering establishing a 35 foot
maximum on
> new buildings and bringing my area under county zoning. A tower is a
> building as far as building departments are concerned.

Hmmm. Not usually. Here is the Yuma County definition. The Yuma City
definition is almost identical:

"Building. A structure constructed on the premises and having a roof
supported by columns or walls for housing, shelter or enclosure of
persons, animals, or property of any kind."

A tower IS considered a structure though:

"Structure. Anything constructed or erected with fixed location on the
ground, or attached to something having fixed location on the ground,
including but not limited to buildings, towers, swimming pools, walls,
fences, and billboards."

Here's my favorite line from the Yuma City Ordinance:

"EXCEPTIONS TO (building) HEIGHT LIMITS: The provisions of the section
shall not apply to church spires, domes, belfries, cupolas, monuments,
water tank towers, fire towers, observation towers, transmission
towers, windmills, chimneys, smoke stacks, silos, derricks, conveyers,
flag poles, and aerials and their necessary supports..."

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ