Re: [TowerTalk] Radio Shack 300 Ohm Line Characteristics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radio Shack 300 Ohm Line Characteristics
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 09:49:03 -0700
Perhaps the dielectric loss isn't the dominant effect. Looking at the tables
in XLZIZL, it looks like the big change between generic 300 and generic 450
(which calculate out to the numbers you give in your post) is in the K1
term, which goes as sqrt(f).  That's primarily the resistive component, and
strongly affected by conductor diameter (skin effect...).

What's the conductor diameter on the two cables you're interested in?  To a
first order, the loss will be proportional to the AC resistance, which will
be proportional to the diameter (not the area... the current flows in a thin
layer on the surface) of the conductor.

Let's look at the ratio in losses: .146 and .541... (in dB)...

If the AWG 20 wires in the RS 300 ohm wire are compared to the AWG 16 wires
in the wireman 450 ohm stuff... there are two factors, both helping reduce
loss:
1) The AWG 16 has 2 dB more diameter.. A 3dB change would cut the loss in
half.. (from .541 to .27)
2) The 450 ohm has about 20% lower current than the 300 ohm (because the
impedance is higher.. so I^2 R losses are lower).. That would get the loss
from 0.27 to 0.18, which is close enough to the reported figure to be
reasonable.

There are other more subtle factors.. the current's not evenly distributed
around the circumference of the conductor because of the proximity of the
two conductors, so the "tubular current sheet" approximation is less valid
for the smaller cable. They're both stranded wire, which has it's own skin
effect peculiarities, depending on the number and size of the strands.

Overall, I'd believe the reported numbers.  By the way, if you haven't
downloaded XLZIZL from the website, you should.  It's very slick for this
sort of analysis.

Jim, W6RMK