Re: [TowerTalk] 80 4-square inside a 160 4-square? Pros andConsplease!

To: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 4-square inside a 160 4-square? Pros andConsplease!
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 09:24:35 -0700
I think, though, that it's definitely something to look into for the future.
We've had decades of work to develop tools and techniques for optimizing
conventional multielement beams, starting with essentially empirical cut and
try with rules of thumb, and now with very sophisticated (and accurate)
method of moments modeling and computer optimization, embodying those
decades of practical experience.   I would say that it's no exaggeration to
say that one could use one of the modern Yagi-Uda design programs and crank
out a design, build it, and have it work within tenths of a dB of the
expectation. Certainly this is true for microwave antennas as well.

We need to create those same tools for other antenna configurations, and
phased arrays in their many forms are probably a good place to start.  No
longer should the computational complexity be a reason to avoid particular
designs.  Synthesizing and analyzing complex networks of 20 inductors and
capacitors would be impractical by hand, but is trivial for a computer.  No
more must designers rely on the "cookbook" of matching networks.  The key
will be acquiring and integrating the "practical experience" part.  It's
pretty straightforward to create the models and optimize them, but real
antennas have real components in real environments, and people (we!) need to
start building and trying some of these designs to understand how to
integrate theory and practice.

One of the big hang-ups now is getting "good" measurements of "real
components" to put into the models.  When you're building a 2-3 component
matching network, you can probably get away with simple approximations, and
just move the taps or turn the knobs until it works right and accept the
inevitable non-ideal behavior.

In particular, we need to understand the effects of environment on matching
components (it's one thing to analyze or measure a loading coil in
isolation, but what happens when it's 3 feet from a steel car body).   What
about the effect of the house next to a physically small radiator like a
compact loop or loaded dipole/monopole?  Fewer and fewer hams (particularly
the younger ones that we want to enter the activity) have the luxury of land
and towers without significant restrictions.  Sophsticated and complex
systems have the potential to overcome a lot of the problems (albeit, not
all... nothing beats height and size!).

Jim, W6RMK