Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Floating Ground Steel Building?

To: kd4e@verizon.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Floating Ground Steel Building?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:14:05 -0700
At 02:42 PM 7/2/2004 -0400, doc wrote:
I just left a meeting with the builder of our new steel home
where I discovered something troubling -- the steel roof and
wall materials appear to be floating above ground on top of
the concrete slab!

The roof and wall are 10" x 48" wide sections bonded together
and along the bottom of the wall set into a metal channel
fastened to the concrete with embedded anchor bolts -- but
those bolts are buried in the slab, none of them are grounded.

The slab itself is grounded, isn't it... This is what UFER ground depend on. There may be a moisture barrier between the slab and some of the ground, but the footings around the edges should be in contact with the soil, and there's a fairly large contact area there.

So when I bring everything to the entry panel the only point
of ground is the three planned 20' rods -- for the entire
steel house shell as well as for the power line, phone,
tower-related cables, and well cables.

I have been counting on the steel shell wicking off lightning
energy through multiple grounding points minimizing the collection
of energy at any single point.

Should I place ground rods at the corners, and perhaps at
additional 10 or 20 foot locations around the perimeter of the
60 x 40 structure, and tie them to the base plate of the
outer metal wall?

What's the contact area of a wire or rod compared with all those square feet of concrete?

The lightning storm that just rolled through reminded me to take seriously!