Re: [TowerTalk] Lighting

To: jeff millar <wa1hco@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lighting
From: jeff millar <wa1hco@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 00:05:49 -0400
Just a follow up point. If the cloud and the comb of points at the top is able to source 300 Amps via something like corona, it _might_ need the support of a low impedance to ground in the ground system....depends on the "equivelant circuit" of cloud, air, corona, ground, etc.

jeff millar wrote:

While visiting Chuck, WA1EKV and looking at his 100 Ft tower on a hill with a comb of sharp points on top and 3 large ground leads at the bottom, he told me that he once heard hissing from the top of the tower during a time of dark clouds. He then measured the current in one of the ground lines with a clip-on DC ammeter and found 100 Amps....implying a sustained 300 Amps total bleeding from the cloud to ground.

I don't know if thats enough to bleed off the charge and prevent a strike. It's just an anecdotal data point.

jeff, wa1hco

Keith Dutson wrote:

My "gradually and constantly bleeding off the charge" scenario takes place

before that, before the storm arrives.

I don't get it. Exactly what is bleeding off before the storm arrives?

Keith