Re: [TowerTalk] Replying to the list...AGAIN!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Replying to the list...AGAIN!
From: "Bill VanAlstyne" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:55:45 -0600
Jim Brown wrote:

> A reply is NOT a flame if it says "I think you're wrong and
> here's why." That's peer review, and it helps keep all of
> us straight. It prevents our misconceptions from being
> taken as gospel, and sometimes the guy who says "you're
> wrong" is wrong. When that happens, others can chime in
> and straighten things out. That's what ham radio, peer
> review, and shared knowledge are all about. That's a major
> strong point of a list like this -- the shared knowledge and
> thinking of many folks.

Jim, this is the most spot-on comment I've seen on this thread. To paraphrase
another poster to whom I responded a few days back, I think this is the
"definitive" answer to the reply-to-list question.

Now, the question is, WHY can't we get the list default changed, since it's
clear that the vast majority of us subscribers want it that way? I've been on
many lists over the last ten years, and the default of all of them was "respond
to list". Yes, it's true that a few "personal" comments that weren't intended
for the whole list inadvertently got posted from time to time, and everybody had
a good laugh, along with one or two very red faces.  :-)  But what's really
wrong with that? Unless somebody is actually afraid of some kind of litigation?
Good heavens, I should hope that's not true!

Bill / W5WVO
Albuquerque, NM