RE: [TowerTalk] Replying to the list...AGAIN!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Replying to the list...AGAIN!
From: Tony King - W4ZT <towertalk1@w4zt.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:08:14 -0400

At 03:23 PM 7/21/2004, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:

> Now, the question is, WHY can't we get the list default
> changed, since it's clear that the vast majority of us
> subscribers want it that way?

... because the lists at contesting.com are not democracies.

<snip>
Anytime someone starts their post like that, it will turn off at least 50% of those reading it. Might as well throw gas on a fire.

 As the administrator of
two of the lists (not towertalk), I prefer it that way as it:

1) prevents personal replies from reaching the list (which
   would otherwise happen several times a week)

People should be responsible for their replies on the list just like they are in public. We all make mistakes but that's just life. I can live with other folks making mistakes just like I do.

 2) greatly damps the start of a flame war ... one has to make
   a clear choice to send to the list.  That encourages a
   "think twice before hitting send" mindset.

That's why lists have administrators / moderators. If you don't want a flame war, stop it by placing the perpetrators in moderation (better still send them to the corner).

3) it improves the signal to noise ratio as off topic posts
   do not propagate as quickly or as long.

If this list continues to be a posting of questions without open discussion it's useless. Off topic posts seem to be routine on a lot of lists but they die quickly. If not, warn then send 'em to the corner.

I have had lists configured BOTH ways over the years, and
believe me, this way is far better.  One list developed such
a problem with flame wars, ad hominem attacks and, off topic
postings after being set to "replies to the list" that it now
runs in a fully moderated mode.

You can't treat everyone as children. Open discussion and exchange of ideas will not happen if all the responses go to the poster of a question. We've all replied and seen it go to the poster only when we had the intent for the list to see it. I think most members that have posted with regards to this subject have expressed the desire to see replies to questions in real time without having to wait for someone else to post them. The archives become useless.

Not to speak for the administrator of this list, but if you
don't like the way this list is operated, there are other
tower reflectors.

Good, that's your OPINION...

Certainly the administrator of a list can make decisions for him/herself on how things run. I agree with the vast majority that the list should be default reply to the list.

Sir/Ma'am administrator, that's my opinion.

73, Tony W4ZT