Re: [TowerTalk] Question re: Whole House Surge Protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question re: Whole House Surge Protection
From: "W1GOR" <W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:08:48 -0400
Eric,

I have designed Polyphaser and Joslyn devices into railroad communications
systems and have had excellent results in protecting VHF, UHF, and digital
Microwave systems from power surges and nearby lightning strikes.    In
electrified railroad territory, the third-rail transients are potentially
more damaging than ordinary power-line transients.   When one considers a
third-rail potential of 700 to 750 VDC, and substation capabilities of
20,000 ADC, total power levels of 15 Megawatts can do a lot of damage.

In my personal station, I use Polyphaser and ICE coaxial surge suppressors
to protect the solid-state transceivers and tube-boatanchors.  This should
not be construed as being an endorsement for any particular manufacturer,
but simply as what was best for my design at the time and for the amount of
available funds.

Grounding is one of the most controversial subjects and is generally divided
into three major areas.  These are: RF, Lighning, and Safety.  Each type of
ground has it's very own pros and cons in terms of construction methodology.
My advice is for everyone to search the internet for as much installation
information as possible and to intelligently design and construct the best
system for your own station.  I realize that the last statement is overly
simplistic, but there are far too many applicable methods and devices to
pick any single design.

73, Larry - W1GOR