Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust bearing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust bearing
From: K4FJ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:21:37 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/2004 3:50:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,  k3bz@arrl.net
writes:

I use  two thrust bearings, one at the top and one a couple of feet down the
mast.  The rotator is a couple of feet below the bottom TB. The top TB is
merely a  guide; the bottom TB supports all (or nearly all) the weight of the
mast
and  antennas via two opposing "double-saddled" muffler clamps on the mast.
The  mast doesn't actually bear much on the rotator... the rotator merely grips
the  mast and turns it. I figure the less weight that bears on the rotator,
the  longer it will last.... and TB's are cheaper than rotators!  I do have
the mast pinned to the rotator, however, as the Yaesu rotator provides for
pinning.
This is my first tower, but this arrangement seems to work A-OK  for me. I've
had no slipping or other problems with it.

73,  Jerry  K3BZ

Jerry's approach using two bearings (or a thrust bearing and guide) before
the mast gets to the rotator is the preferred method.  You will realize it  the
first time you want to change out a broken rotator.  However, it you  choose
to use a Rohn top section with the snorkel top, you can get away with a
single thrust bearing on a plate above the rotor.  The snorkel is your  guide.
bit harder to get to the antenna attachment point but not  bad.

73, Steve