Re: [TowerTalk] spider balls

To: "TowerTalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] spider balls
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:33:28 -0700
At 08:39 AM 7/28/2004 -0400, you wrote:
> My thought was to attract lightning to the three
foundations, not to avoid a
> strike.  I thought that if I were to minimize the path to
the tower itself
> it would help avoid a direct strike on the tower.  If I
could get 1-2 ohms
> to ground at each point and make an attempt to isolate the
tower such that
> it sees a much larger resistance to ground....

This really all comes down to pretty simple physics. The
cloud has a charge, and the earth has a charge. Unless we
can reduce that voltage, which it is proven we can't, then
we have a spark gap. Only the voltage gradient of the
electric field matters. The resistance of the conductors in
that gap really don't matter until after the strike starts,
and then we want everything LOW impedance an all tied to a
common point if possible. Grounding the tower, having
intentional leakage, whatever rows your boat enjoy it. But
the facts are other than lowering height compared to
surrounding objects, there isn't anything we can do to
prevent a hit.

A good example of this is the lightning rods surrounding the launch pads in Kourou, which has a fairly high frequency of thunderstorms (although mid coastal FL, where we have a big factility, may be worse). You certainly don't want lightning hitting the launch vehicle sitting there, so they put rods on towers higher than the height of the rocket and gantry around the pad.

It helps, but isn't perfect, because they still get strikes. And, of course, eventually the rocket rises into the air above the lightning rods, and then IT is the highest thing around, with a nice conductive trail to the ground. Fortunately, by then, the strikes don't do much bad stuff, unlike when you are on the ground connected with umbilicals to ground support equipment (and people!)

There are some pictures of Kourou on the web...
http://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/csg/csg3.html is someone's picture log

Baikonur has a similar strategy
http://members.aol.com/nodin/N1pages/N1index1.html