RE: [TowerTalk] spider balls

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] spider balls
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:55:56 -0500
This whole thread on bleeding off charges from clouds has been interesting,
educational and entertaining to me.  In my case, I cannot image this bleed
theory has any relevance at all.  But others seem to think it is a way to
avoid damage.  To each their own.

At my QTH in Tomball, Texas (25 miles NW of Houston), there have been five
observed strikes on the single 150 foot tower located near the center of the
property.  The tower went up in 1999.  The property is approximately 16
acres, about 850 feet square, and flat as a pancake.  It is one parcel out
of a 100 acre farm that was active until the farmer passed away about 40
years ago.  Soil is sandy loam down to 3 or 4 feet, then iron ore for many
more feet (have dug to 20 feet so far).  There are about 50 large pine trees
scattered about and another 100 or so live oak trees planted in 1985.  The
tract was purchased in 1977.

Lightning has been a frequent visitor to this site.  Before the tower was
erected ten pines were hit and killed.  Since the tower went up not a single
tree has been hit.  So, apparently the 150 foot tower has protected the
average 80 foot trees quite well - so far.

Storms here with lightning are fast and furious.  Dark clouds can seemingly
appear out of nowhere.  There is likely not a spot for miles around that has
never been struck by a bolt.  In fact, I assume that when the next two
towers go up, it will be an invitation for more strikes.

Up until the last two strikes, I never lost a single piece of equipment.  I
felt smug in the ground system design and implementation.  All ground rods
were connected in a single point.  What changed my luck was when we
remodeled the house two years ago and connected to the shack (separate
building with separate AC power lines) with telephone, TV (satellite) and
computer LAN.  The last two strikes killed all phones, everything on the
LAN, and TV service in the shack.  I thought the first strike was a fluke.
Now I realize that these connections are the problem.  The LAN cable has
been removed and will soon be replaced with wireless router.  The TV and
telephone lines will remain, but will be properly grounded at the entry
panel.

Keith

  _____