RE: [TowerTalk] Rohn Torque Bar confusion

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Rohn Torque Bar confusion
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:58:40 -0500
Roger Halstead wrote:
>Just think of a tower guyed with 1/4 inch EHS.  Now think of a ham putting
up a 90 foot light weight steel tower and guying it with 1/4 inch EHS "for
strength". With those 1/4 inch guys properly tensioned he is going to have
_well_over_ ONE TON of weight on that little tower base.

OK, so you have more than 2000 pounds bearing on the tower base.  What is
the design limit on the base as poured according to Rohn?

>I have dismantled 90 foot steel TV towers that used 1/4 inch steel guys.
The bottom three sections were "belled" into each other to the point it took
a jack to get them apart.

This has been posted before.  How are these sections connected?  Seems to me
if it is Rohn 25 or above, or equivalent, each log would be bolted at two
points.  If so, how could they "belly" without breaking the bolts or
elongating the bolt holes?

Keith