Re: [TowerTalk] Why Rain static is worse on the top antenna.

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why Rain static is worse on the top antenna.
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 01:35:16 -0400
Not being able to reply for a while does not mean I agree. There are some repeatable observations that need to be taken into account, and in this thread and the others from it, these observations do not seem to be addressed, as neither are they addressed by you.

Calling someone else's argument "folklore" does not constitute technical argument. The last time I looked, you also belong to the class "folk" and you also are providing accounts of things that have happened.

I have merely pointed out that one aspect of this consternation is explained by the ground and antennas carrying a greater charge than the medium IN THE CASE OF THE RAIN/SNOW STATIC PARTICULARLY, that the common conversations about this particular case seem to have the supply and demand reversed.

Observation 1: Tower 1 with beam A at 130' and beam B at 80'. Tower 2 with beam C at 80'. The precip static (or WHATEVER it actually is in the eyes of the Creator) is all over beam A and beam C while beam B is barely affected. The effect is not related to height per se, at least not at these common ham antenna heights.

Observation 1A: It is clear that beam B gets just as much snow or rain hitting it as beams A and C. If the snow or rain or surrounding humid air, whatever, is carrying or shepherding the charge which dissipates onto the grounded antennas then why does Beam B not noise up.

Observation 2: The noise is there while rain or snow is falling. Noise stops when the snow or rain stops. Noise starts up again when rain or snow resumes. If it's not the snow or rain, whatever it is does not occur without the snow or rain.

Observation 3: Clean dry wind has never caused the noise we associate with rain or snow anywhere I've been. While I have been kicked on my a** as apparently have you by wind building up a charge on an ungrounded antenna, the same 50 mph clear sky dry wind out of the NW did NOT cause the noise we associate with rain or snow.

I have not been in a dusty wind since I was a child in New Mexico, and cannot comment. I wonder whether a dusty wind would spare beam B in the situation above. E.g. that the charge was being carried on the dust and ALL metallics connected to ground were fair game for discharge.

These simple observations have been reported by many other hams. The explanations need to take them all into account. Beam B is the monkey wrench.

Something is acting as a charge sink for the charged up antennas, and it's either the snow or rain, or something directly associated with it, or both.

Regards,
Guy.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>

I'm afraid that doesn't work very well either Guy. Folklore
has caused us to ignoring what we easily can observe
repeating over and over again.

If the noise was from droplets, dust, or snowflakes the
noise we hear would have a pitch directly related to the
number of drops hitting the tower and an intensity directly
related the size of those particles and the charge gradient.
If you listen carefully to the noise while watching outside,
you'll see that just doesn't happen at all.