Re: [TowerTalk] Why Rain static is worse on the top antenna.

To: <k1ttt@arrl.net>, "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why Rain static is worse on the top antenna.
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:16:33 -0400
the noise can start well before the rain or snow start, and
indeed can happen when there is no rain or snow at all in the area... and
can continue well after the rain or snow stop.

Personally I've never once heard that, and I've many times been outside listening to the noise through a window and heard the noise dissipate with the rain or snow. But I take you at your word.

That also runs in parallel with Tom's observation that if [the bulk] of the noise were caused ONLY by rain or snow, some corelation to the rain or snow contact should be heard.

That would mean that there is an ACCOMPANYING CHARGEABLE MEDIUM (whatever that may be) that comes with the rain/snow, that is accepting charge in a manner to explain the random pulse noise.

It would not surprise me if there were regional differences that would make your observation more likely in some areas than others.

I have been on the air a few times when lightning struck close (flash and little delay to sound) and the sky was clear overhead. There was no "precip" static accompanying whatever made the lightning strike possible.

That makes me believe that whatever makes lightning possible and the precip static's "accompanying chargeable medium" may or may not occur together, and do not depend on one another.

Given the attention paid to this subject and its decades long ability to evade clear irrefutable repeatable explanation, I suspect that the genre of effects may be a muddle of a half dozen separate phenomena that people keep trying to explain with a single magic bullet, or two.

Whatever, the "chargeable medium", compared to the top beam, needs to be the neutral entity, and the top beam the carrier of charge, so that the explanation can encompass the "shielded" less noisy lower beam. The "shielding" simply being a lack of charge, which took the opportunity to go closer to the oppositely charged clouds above by moving to the upper beam.

What is the chargeable medium? I really don't know. Micro droplets or micro crystals? Humid air? Humid air succeptible to corona? Except "precip static" doesn't sound like corona. Corona has a discernible pattern to the noise. I've heard corona that sounded something like a scream.

73, Guy