Re: [TowerTalk] Calculations

To: j4976@juno.com, kr7x@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Calculations
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:25:13 -0700
At 02:07 PM 9/14/2004 -0500, j4976@juno.com wrote:
Based on this (good) information, it seems to me that a manufacturer
could have an engineer make up a series of charts or tables showing the
surviving loads in each soil type at increasing wind speeds and icing
conditions sufficient to encompass nearly any code requirement.  Have
these stamped, and provided to each purchaser, and pay the engineer an
ongoing fee quarterly for each set sent out.  The building official could
look up his or her favorite wind speed on the chart or table and approve
the installation based on that information.

The only problem I could see would be if the official requires a stamp
from a local engineer.

Always the case.. if they want wet stamped drawings, they want them stamped by an engineer licensed to practice in that state.

In this case, perhaps some amateur association,
like ARRL, should request that amateurs who are licensed volunteer from
each state to provide a review and stamp service at a reduced fee, since
many of the tower requests reviewed would be redundant, so it wouldn't be
like performing a new engineering study each time from scratch.  For most
towers, the engineer could just pull a file on that model and verify that
his file numbers agree with the ones being submitted for the permit.

There's that whole "plan stamping" and span of control thing. One cannot just review and stamp plans in most states.

http://www.nspe.org/etweb/10804planstamping.asp talks about it in general terms....

I would think that these practices could help manufacturers sell more
towers to wary amateurs, and that they would also help us get more people
on the air to help perpetuate the amateur service.

-