Re: [TowerTalk] Calculations

To: kr7x@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Calculations
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:29:58 -0700
Hank,
In regards to my comments on the subject, I have never mentioned a problem with the fees involved in obtaining the calcs, my only problem is why some manufacturers can provide them and others cannot, especially since, as you pointed out, they are are based on the root TIA/EIA-222-F specifications. It would seem any tower manufacturer, especially a major one, would have a P.E. on call to provide these calcs when required for an appropriate fee.
As far as dealing with the Bldg Inspector, when they have a requirement to fill they want to see that requirement in front of them. At my City Hall there is always a line of contractors with drawings to be approved and the inspector just doesn't want to convert one set of specs to another in order to meet their requirements. I submitted great drawings from UST based on UBC-97 but was told just come back and submit the same info based on IBC-2000 and I'd get my permit. UST came back and said none of their crank ups could comply to IBC-2000. If all they had to do is to incorporate the TIA/EIA-222-F specifications into a drawing showing they complied with IBC-2000 why couldn't they do it?
I am not putting down your opinions or having to pay for getting the specs, just that it is hard to understand why some manufacturers can easily provide them and others cannot. Yes, it might just be that they did not want to bother with it but someday more and more Bldg Depts may require different specs than their basic UBC-97 drawings.
I have been partaking on the free BBQ at UST during the Intl DX Convention for the last 20 years or so, and on making my move from a CC&R controlled area to one where I could have a tower I contacted UST first for my order. I was very disappointed that after 3 months of phone calls and emails I was told their outside P.E. could not provide IBC-2000 wind calcs for any of their crank ups.

kr7x@comcast.net wrote:

To the list:
The IBC, both 2000 and 2003, and the UBC all refer to the TIA/EIA-222-F
specification when they discuss the wind load and analysis of towers. The
actual design criteria for towers can be considered the same for all three
codes. Actually the IBC 2003 is the latest version of the IBC 2000. The only
variables that change from location to location for all the codes is the design
wind velocity and the site soils.
The TIA/EIA design wind velocities as well as the UBC's are based on the "fastest mile" wind
speed; while the IBC (2000 & 2003) as well as the ASCE 7-02 are based on the "fastest
3-second" gust. In the IBC's there is a table that relates the two wind velocity concepts, fastest
mile vs 3-second gust, together.
The site soils in all the codes are handled by 5 basic types with extremely
conservative allowable strength values.
So in essence there is only 1-design standard and it doesn't matter which code,
UBC or IBC. The real focus is to educate the building offical that this is the
case. A licensed structural engineer in the particular jurisdiction has more
credibility in this regard than either the permit applicant or the manufacturer.
In a general comment to all on the list regarding the discussion of the cost of
engineering.
 I feel that it is demeaning to the profession and to me personally. What you
are actually paying for is the accumulated knowledge and understanding of all
the physics involved in the wind or seismic design of the tower as a structural
system.
If you don't like the fee, my suggestion is to spend 4+ years in accreditied university
coursework with passing marks; take the 8-hr EIT test and pass; spend 4 years under the
guidance of an licensed engineer(s); take the 16-hr structural licensing examination and
pass,  in the state of your choice and then "DO IT YOURSELF".
Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.
Hank Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X
President

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://gocoastguard.com