Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete anchors

To: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete anchors
From: Jim Darrough <jdarrough@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:27:21 -0700
A friend of mine who does commercial towers told me that guy anchors
should be set out 80% of the height of the tower. That means that at
120' tall, you should have your anchor points out 96 feet from the
center of the tower base.

You ought to check with Rohn about that, because as we all know,
different soil densities and "wetness" can drastically affect how well
your anchors perform. Another resource would be a local Engineering
firm, specifically a Civil Engineer. If you know anyone in that line
of work, you might start there.

73 Jim Darrough, KI7AY

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:26:58 -0400, Tower (K8RI)
<tower@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

> >The drawing I have for the gac305 anchor shows them angled but doesnt give
> >any hints on >how to do it.  I know I need the hole to be 3x3x4 but from
> >there I'm not sure what I need to >do to get the anchor in the right
> >position.
>
> "As I recall" (which means you still need to look it up in the ROHN book)
> the anchor comes out at 45 degrees and is far enough from the tower to point
> between the the top two guy sets.
>
> >I have a yard that measures 180' long by 80' wide. I'm looking to install a
> >120' rohn 25g.  Can >I run 4 sets of guys off the tower to make up for not
> >having the 120 deg span?
>
> 120 feet on an 80 foot lot?  You must not have neighbors, or no setback
> rules. Even with 4 point guying you need the anchors much farther out than
> you can get them for a 120 foot tower on an 80 foot lot.  At a120 feet I'd
> say you need 100 feet from the tower for each guy anchor.  You can get by
> with a bit less, but that 120 feet on an 80 foot lot scares me.
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI, EN73 & ARRL Life Member)
> N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
> www.rogerhalstead.com
>
> Thank you for your help
>
> Bryan

Jim Darrough