Re: [TowerTalk] CobWebb antennas - success stories?

To: <jsb@digistar.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CobWebb antennas - success stories?
From: "John Tait" <bravo@iol.ie>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:45:49 +0100

Anyone have any success stories regarding the CobWebb antenna?

http://www.g3tpw.ukgateway.net/

I'd like to get one but it's about $500 to get one here after the exchange rate and shipping. Just wondering if anyone had tried one of these before and had any opinions to share... or if there's a better list to move the thread to i'd be happy to take it there.

73 Jason N1SU

It's a clever and effective antenna for people with little room, and with TVI problems.
Basically it's a nest of FOLDED dipoles with a choke balun at the feedpoint. Ordinary dipoles in such a configuration would have a low feed impedance, and narrow bandwidth,
Using folded dipoles gets over both problems.. That's how I read it anyway..
BTW the patent holder for the CobWebb knows his onions...He's in R&D for the Military. Also, beware that there are people selling pirate versions that usually DON'T work very well.
73
John EI7BA http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/