Re: [TowerTalk] Hi Power lines - interference

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hi Power lines - interference
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:27:44 EDT
In a message dated 9/24/04 1:19:02 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
budr@netride.net writes:
Transmission lines are generally maintained to a higher standard than
local distribution lines.  There will probably be some noise on the
lower HF bands, but if the line is well maintained it will not be
serious.  You will probably notice some difference depending on whether
you antennas are parallel with the line or not.  I doubt you'll have
much noise at VHF and above.
I have found the above also.  I have six approximately 115-130KV lines
running to my north around 2000 feet away.  I have found these not to be too
noisy.
However, the lower voltage lines around here having 15KV that run through the
neighborhood can produce lots of QRN, especially in the summer when the
lightning arrestors get fried...lots of S-9 stuff.

Bill K4XS