Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing Usage

To: "James C. Hall, MD" <nwtcc@earthlink.net>, <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing Usage
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:11:32 -0400
Jamie:

     What has been suggested here from time to time, and what I did on my
own tower, is install a second bearing plate below the top one (kind of
where your rotator plate is now).  On this second bearing plate many folks
have installed a second bearing.  What others have done, myself included, is
install a clamp of some sort in lieu of a second bearing collar.  In my case
the clamp sits about an inch above the second plate, clamped to the mast,
ready for use when I have to pull the rotator.

     When that time comes, I loosen the clamp and slide it down to rest
directly in the second bearing plate.  Then I can release the mast clamps on
the rotator and do what I must to the rotator itself.  The top bearing and
the clamp on the second bearing plate support keep the mast and antennas
supported while the rotator is absent.

     In your present case, having only one bearing plate, what some here
have done is fabricate a piece of angle aluminum with a u-bolt on one end.
This u-bolt fits around the mast just above the rotator.  The opposite end
of the angle is fastened against a tower leg, to keep the angle and mast
from rotating, and to prvide the support needed to keep the mast vertical
while the rotator is absent.  You might want to consider installing a second
angle and u-bolt piece, and fasten it against a second tower leg, for
additional support.

     If you like the idea of haveing a second bearing plate, you might be
able to install a new rotator plate at the bottom of the top tower section.
Then you'd have a freed-up plate for a second bearing collar or clamp.  To
install the second bearing, you'd merely (?) lower the mast, via a
come-along, through the second bearing, then down to the rotator in its new
position.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F