[TowerTalk] Roof mounting 5BTV

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Roof mounting 5BTV
From: "R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:45:24 -0600
Hello Towertalk.

I'm planning on roof mounting a 5BTV vertical in the next week.
I'll be mounting it on an Radio Shack 3 ft. tripod and plan on 4 radials per band.
The manual tells me that I should use 2 feed line chokes, one at the antenna and one at the radio. I'm planning on using a pair of Radio Works T-4 1:1 current "line isolators" instead of the chokes.

One section of the manual has me a little confused though. The instructions say to RF isolate the antenna from the mounting mast if the mast is an appreciable fraction of a 1/4 wavelength in frequency. The tripod and mast will be 5ft tall. I've also noticed that there is no ground connection on this antenna. Is this correct?

This setup will be a temporary lash up to get me through the winter when I hope to be able to get a new tower and beam installed at the new QTH. If the vertical works well it will become my backup on the higher bands.

Thanks for the input.

R. Kevin Stover, ACØH