Re: [TowerTalk] Re: 80 Meter Hybrid Triangle Loop

To: "DaveLaBat" <labatd@comcast.net>,"Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: 80 Meter Hybrid Triangle Loop
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 15:46:32 -0500
> Slightly off topic but germane I hope, I have been
operating portable from a
> mountaintop location and the inverted vees do not seem to
be effective, I
> would think a true dipole would be a fine performer, but
with only one
> available high support, would I not be better with a delta
loop?

A horizontally polarized delta's only major effect would be
making the antenna look lower in height than an Inverted Vee
dipole at the same apex height. If the antenna is too high,
I'd just lower it.

An Inverted Vee dipole, as long as the leg angle is wider
than 120 degees, is pretty much just like a dipole in every
respect except it acts like it is a bit lower in height. Roy
Lewallen had an approximation, but I forgot it. I think it
was something like a height reduction equivalent to about
20% of the leg length of one side for a 120 degree angle
inverted V dipole.

In any event there isn't a big difference.

You really just have to try different antennas. I can't
imagine a dipole not working well as long as it is over 1/4
wl high.

73 Tom