Re: [TowerTalk] Half-Square formula?

To: <ve7avv@shaw.ca>, "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Half-Square formula?
From: "w9ge" <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:16:37 -0500
To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2004 7:41 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Half-Square formula?

Over the past couple of weeks I have been researching the half-square
antenna. While a combination of magazine articles and Internet-based
information produces a significant amount of data and experiences with this
antenna, the one thing that varies is the formula used for both the
horizontal and vertical elements.

For example, on LB Cebik's site http://www.cebik.com/scv4.html he suggests,
"the relatively invariant relationship between the horizontal and vertical
dimensions of the half square for a maximum-gain configuration tends to
assure a good utility for the formulas". Where H is the horizontal length in
feet, V is the vertical height in feet, and f is the frequency in MHz, he
suggests the use of V=278/f MHz and H=447/f MHz.

In other articles, the number for both H and V elements is either 468, 492
or 1005 and the half or quarter wave product of these calculations. Suffice
to say, the base numbers produce some significant swings in the two values.

While I tend to lean towards the LB Cebik material -- simply given the mass
of research he has undertaken over the years, I am curious what the members
of this group can offer in terms of opinions on the formula.

My thanks in advance for any and all replies.

73 de Paul, VE7AVV
StoneyGround Station
"All email from this address is checked by Norton AntiVirus 2003"