Re: [TowerTalk] ICE 419A Combination Bandpass Filter 10M Section Blown

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ICE 419A Combination Bandpass Filter 10M Section Blown
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:20:13 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 12:39 PM

Subject says it all. VSWR went to 5 at some point during operation of
VP8WWW. The filter box was set to 10 meters and connected to a trapped
vertical and Kenwood 480HX. Transceiver was set to 200 watts CW on 10
meters. We were using two boxes and switched them. About an hour later the
second box did the same thing.

I read the manual. It states the unit is rated at 200 watts. I am guessing
that is for SSB rather than CW. Anyone else experience this problem?

Each filter section apparently consists of a simple coil and two caps in T
configuration. This is only an observation as I do not have a schematic. I
would like to beef up the capacity and assume this might be done with higher
voltage caps.

Keith NM5G

A friend of mine has the ICE filters, and I have helped him change bad 10 meter capacitors twice now. At least one other person has publicly complained of the same thing. The factory guys say they have never heard of such a problem. They did supply the replacement caps for free, but it took a few weeks to get them, and by then we had already purchased the replacement caps from Mouser. The cap that failed both times was in the leg that runs to ground on the rig side, not the antenna side. This leg is a parallel combinaton of two caps. The cap did not blow completely, rather it just made a significant change in value. If you separate them you can use an impedance measuring device, such as an antenna analyzer, to figure out which one has changed. The capacitor values are all different for the various bands, but a typical Mouser part number would be 5982-19-500V270 for the 270 pF. The Mouser catalog does have some 1000V micas, but the selection of values is quite limited. You could switch to a parallel/series combination of four 500V caps, at least in this leg.

Another thing I don't like about the ICE Filters is that the signal path goes through 12 normally-closed relay contacts. In my friend's units, he experiences occasional signal dropout on receive. As soon as he sends one 50 watt "dit" through the filter, the film on the relay contacts is penetrated, and the receive signals reappear. The factory guys say they have never heard of that one, either.

Just pull the cover off the filter, and you will see how it is built. At least it is easy to work on. We've had the covers off my friend's unit so much that now we just have to whistle, and the screws unscrew themselves. After you change the caps, just squeeze the 10 meter coil/bend cap leads for min swr. We keep a rubber glove handy for this purpose, to avoid rf burns, and to avoid affecting the swr. Make final adjustment with the cover on as far as you can get it, and still be able to reach in. We can change these caps in about ten minutes now. It looks like a Wood brothers' pit stop.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL Yuma, AZ