[TowerTalk] The other side of the story

To: RCARIELLO@si.rr.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] The other side of the story
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:00:14 -0500
Howdy, TowerTalkians --

First, thanks for all your comments and particularly the guys who came to my
defense.

I run a retail business called Champion Radio Products and many of you have
been customers of mine - thank you. I treat people with the same attitude that
I would like them or a business to treat me with. Conversely I expect customers
to treat me fairly as well.

I'm also the founder and administrator of TowerTalk - this great reflector that
is a valuable service to the amateur radio hobby. (BTW there are over 1400
current subscribers.) Bill Fisher, W4AN-SK, and I started it in 1996 and since
then I have made over 7500 postings - most of which had to do with replies to
tower construction questions. I can get cranky about off-topic stuff but mostly
members act like adults and everyone benefits.

Yes, I'd appreciate it if you folks would patronize my business but TT and
Champion Radio are totally separate enterprises - one doesn't have much to do
with the other. I promote TT on my website and occasionally mention something
on TT that I have something that someone may be interested in; i.e. the
tribander and vertical antenna comparison reports, guy wire tensioners, etc.
But there has never been any attempt to use TT as a marketing platform for
Champion; i.e. This Week Only - 10% Off, etc.

But TT HAS NEVER BEEN a forum for bashing manufacturers or dealers - whether
it's me or anyone else. While we all want to know who we should or shouldn't do
business with (since many TT topics have to do with BUYING something), ranting
and raving on a manufacturer or dealer is totally discouraged. Sure, we all get
pissed off occasionally but TT is an unmoderated reflector so I don't see stuff
before it's posted just like you do.

The fact is that Mr. Cariello bought some safety equipment from me and between
the theft of the first shipment and a screw-up from the manufacturer on the
replacement shipment, Mr. Cariello wanted to return his merchandise. I live
full-time in a motorhome and have a Personal Mail Box that receives and
forwards my mail. I didn't have any idea that the merchandise was returned and
then refused until I got the initial credit card dispute. While some of the
things Mr. Cariello said were true, some were not. Mr. Cariello has not tried
to contact me by phone or respond to my emails asking about the status of my
merchandise or done anything to get this straightened out except get his money
back without returning the merchandise.

Mr. Cariello was a difficult customer to work with. I will never do business
with him again.

The fact is that he still owes me money and has my merchandise and he knows it.
I asked him if that was how he ran his business.

But no one is going to bash me on my reflector and get away with it. If I was
half as clever as I thought I was he never would have been able to post his
original rant. Oh, well.

Yes, TT is a benign dictatorship and maybe you would have responded differently
on your reflector - that's your call.

So he got bounced for conduct inappropriate to TT. And don't forget that HE
started this.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC