Re: [TowerTalk] Frozen Rotor

To: msembx-aa6e@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Frozen Rotor
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:02:19 -0500
Perhaps the grease gets too thick at lower temperatures? I'll be interested to read the suggested remedies.

Alan NV8A

On 01/19/05 11:54 am Martin AA6E tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

With the help of a good antenna guy, I installed a roof-mount tower (20
ft Rohn 25) with a Yaesu G-1000 holding up a 3-el SteppIR on an 8 ft
mast.  Nothing exotic here, but it gets out nicely.

We've had a couple of nights this winter of below 10F.  I've found the
rotor just won't budge until morning, when things warm up into the
teens.  What's going on?

There could be some ice in the tower sleeve. Is that the most likely? Shouldn't the G-1000 be able to break through? The rotor does not slip
against the mast. (Indicator does not move.)

What do people do to prevent this?  Lubricate the sleeve, provide a
weather shield, heating tape, ...?