Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ-1025/1026

To: domino@worldlynx.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ-1025/1026
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:05:08 EST

I have been evaluating a MFJ-1026 for several weeks here now to assist with
a noise I have on 160m and, to a lesser extent, 80m. Although I havent
integrated it into my contest station, here are my observations. There is
probably
no real news here if you followed this thread before (may have been  discussed
here or on Topband reflector, I cant recall):

1. The unit DOES work, and very well. The downside is that its finicky to
adjust. Mine, on 160, needs re-adjustment about every 20 khz. Becasue of this,
 can see where this unit may useful to the DXer but a much lesser extent to
the  contester.Of course, if the noise was so bad that you can't operate the
band  without the noise canceller, than you would have to have it in the line
and  readjust often. In my case, the unit isnt essential, just nice to have to
hear  that last layer of stuff.

2. Now, its uselfulness holds true only if you use an external  noise
antenna. The whip supplied is useless. Just about anything will work as an
"external
noise antenna" but the unit works best when that antenna hears the  noise
better than your normal antenna. Your choice of a 5BTV as a noise antenna  is
probeably very adequate.

3. In addition, if you have multiple noise sources the unit's effectiveness
is diminished. It will phase two antennas fairly well to get rid of one noise
but cant do very well on multiple noises. It was never designed to do  that.

4.To protect the Aux Antenna input, it employs a internal, soldered in, 12v
dial lamp as a "fuse". If you are the careless kind you may want to modify
this  to avoid having to remove the unit from the case, unsolder the lamp and
resolder  in a new one if that terminal gets large input voltage from xmtr.
Time
consuming  if you are contesting or just DXing and the unit is the only reason
you are  hearng the DX.

My overall assessment, so far, is that it works as advertised if you use an
external noise antenna and if you have a singular noise source. However, it is
 too finicky (narrowbanded?) for my contest use.

Good luck with whatever you chose!

73, Bob  K8IA
nr The Superstition Mtns
Arizona, USA

http://members.aol.com/bobk8ia/

In a message dated 1/22/05 3:01:54 AM US Mountain Standard Time,