RE : [BULK] - [TowerTalk] PL-259 Soldering temperature

To: "'Steve Katz'" <stevek@jmr.com>, <wb4mle@ctvea.net>,"'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE : [BULK] - [TowerTalk] PL-259 Soldering temperature
From: "hermans" <on4kj@skynet.be>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:14:25 -0000
Be aware not to overheat solder. When a solder is no more shiny and
shows matt, its burned. The molecular composition has changed, it
becomes porous and resistive and is no more able to assure a good
electrical contact, it will shows a very high transfer, and unstable
resistance , say faulty contacts. A real field engineers delight. The
results can be very expensive, and even dangerous.
I believe as long one can assure enough mechanical pressure to obtain a
low transfer resistance. One should not use tin which in MHO is partly
the case when using PL-259 types, at least considering the bread. Just
watch how  BNC types are crimped.
Have fun.

Ugly Jos  on4kj