Re: [TowerTalk] How to stiffen a mast

To: "Barkey, Patrick M." <pbarkey@bsu.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to stiffen a mast
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:12:23 -0800 (PST)
Stiffness (not strength) is proportional to the quantity:

OD^4 - ID^4.

In your current case, this is 2.5^4 - 1.5^4 = 39 - 5 = 34

The best you could possibly do with an aluminum insert is to emulate
a solid rod, in which case the stiffness would be higher by
a factor of 39/34 which is a 15% increase in stiffness.  I
believe steel is about 3 times stiffer than aluminum, so
a solid steel rod would get you a factor of 49/34 or 44%.

Rick N6RK