RE: [TowerTalk] How to stiffen a mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] How to stiffen a mast
From: "D. Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:33:43 -0500
There is little difference in stiffness between a hollow shaft and a solid
shaft - perhaps 10%, since the stresses are carried on the outer fibers.  A
better solution would be to place longitudinal fins along the length of the
shaft, tapered at the ends.  This effectively increases the diameter of the
shaft, but also increases the wind loading.  THe only other thing that can
be done to increase the stiffness of the shaft is to make it a larger
diameter.