Re: [TowerTalk] stainless bolts freezing up

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stainless bolts freezing up
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:37:55 -0500

In a message dated 2/1/05 9:48:39 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:
Most rotor cases are weak, soft, cast materials. I can't
imagine a quality stainless bolt galling or breaking before
the rotor housing fails.

SS nuts and bolts are noted for gauling, or binding when put together dry. Of course lubricant then changes the amount of torque required on the wrench.

Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL Life Member)
N833R World's oldest Debonair
www.rogerhalstead.com

It happened to several of mine....Hy-Gain bolts froze right up. I have never
had it happen to any of them after applying NoAlox.

The HD 73 stainless bolts have a tendancy to do the same thing. Not the ones
on the bottom, but the ones which hold the two sleeves which go around the
mast. I have used NoAlox on those and the problem has never repeated.

Bill K4XS