Re: [TowerTalk] Comprehensive Grounding Tutorial on Web

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Comprehensive Grounding Tutorial on Web
From: Martin AA6E <msembx-aa6e@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:50:40 -0800 (PST)
Responding to Jim (but not sure which one!) --

You say

"That's why I was thinking that coming up with a suitable peer-reviewed
document aimed directly at hams would be useful. Not an application
note from a mfr or sales oriented source; not that information from
PolyPhaser or ICE isn't useful, but they have an obvious orientation,
so you'd want independent backup."

This rings a bell.  We are _amateurs_, and while some of us are
engineers and scientists in real life, very few if any of us are
professionals when it comes to specialized subjects like grounding and
lightning protection.

I observe that a lot of commercial and ham literature (PolyPhaser's
material and most everything on the web) have a lot more philosophy
than science.  They say to do this and that but don't give references,
and they're not peer-reviewed.  I can't find statistics about how well
their equipment has performed in real installations, certainly not for
hams.

To develop a standard for grounding of amateur radio stations seems to
be beyond what our economically small hobby can support.  Industry
practices for cell towers and similar installations may be the best
we'll ever get.  Those facilities are quite standardized and are often
built from scratch.

[If you want to convince me that a particular lightning protection
system - grounds, surge suppressors, etc. - is safe and effective, you
have to _test_ it under realistic conditions.  We get anecdotes on
TowerTalk, but I don't know of any serious testing.]

The problems of RF grounding and AC safety grounding are a little
easier, because you can easily experiment on the RF side (it only needs
to be good enough), and residential electrical codes help you with the
AC.

Most of us install radios and antennas where we can, and we don't build
bonded metal buildings with controlled cable interfaces and all that.
What I want to know is how I can make the best installation in my
particular residence with my particular array of trees, utility lines,
etc. without spending too much money.  It's never going to be easy to
use a standard developed for an industrial situation.

So I end up with an _amateur_ installation, hopefully using enough of
standard practices that my station and I will survive the most likely
environmental threats.  And with some luck, I will even be able to work
some DX.

73, Martin AA6E