Re: [TowerTalk] RFU-503 Was: quick waterproofing for PL-259connectors?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RFU-503 Was: quick waterproofing for PL-259connectors?
From: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:10:02 -0800
interesting Martin. Good feedback.

Surprisingly, I've found *no* references to hams using these. (on the web)
I noticed the rf in industries engineering drawing at

http://rfsearch.rfindustries.com/drawings/rfu-503.pdf
is from 1992, and updated in 1999.

Noticed they specify an aditional step of using heat shrink (1.5") over
the cable and connector, without covering the shell. Do you do that?

Seems like this connector would be pretty foolproof for a short-term waterproof
connection.

I'm waiting for the inevitable "I used/replaced hundreds of those in the past and
they weren't worth the html page they're printed on"....:)

-kevin

Martin Sole wrote:

Re the RFU-503

I have used these a couple of times and they are very easy to fit. I don't
have any problem fitting regular 259's but these take me only half as long.
One thing to watch for though, here in Bangkok I can buy two versions, one
made in JA, the other made in BV. The JA ones are okay but some of the BV
ones have a tendency to separate the shell from the body, seems the groove
in the shell is hardly deep enough and the pressure on the retaining ring
when tightening down compresses the ring slightly allowing the shell to come
free. Here the BV ones cost $1.50 and the JA ones about $2.50 if I remember
right.

73
Martin - HS0ZED

-----Original Message----- From: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:towertalk-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of knormoyle@comcast.net Sent: 09 February 2005 03:01 To: towertalk@contesting.com Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] quick waterproofing for PL-259 connectors?

The RFU-503 is a waterproof pl-259 replacement silicon rubber o-rings/seals

Seems like that could be the simplest.

picture at the manufacturer (rf industries) http://rfsearch.rfindustries.com/ShowProduct.asp?classID=20&productID=5800

has anyone used these?

They're $8.00 at ecwest