Re: rant on "mil spec" wasRE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] RG-11 Source?

To: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>, <w2lk@earthlink.net>,<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: rant on "mil spec" wasRE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] RG-11 Source?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:30:19 -0800
And, of course, the mfr has to have staff in place to make the specific measurements called out by the spec (which might be different than the usual commercial practice) and maintain records and artifacts of the inspections, etc.

And, if the mfr happened to sell the stuff on a contract, as opposed to a purchase order, then they'd have to have all the necessary accounting and recordkeeping systems in place to handle the DCAA auditors who would visit to make sure that that price was fair, reasonable, and not higher than offered to any other customer.

(not to mention that the mfr would probably have to have invested a few hundred bucks in the shelving to hold all the Federal Acquisition Regulations you'd need to comply with.)

Such is life dealing with the government. What sounds like a great idea when applied to jet engines may not be so hot when applied to hammers and ashtrays.