RE: [BULK] - rant on "mil spec" wasRE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] RG-11Source?

To: 'Jim Lux' <jimlux@earthlink.net>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [BULK] - rant on "mil spec" wasRE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] RG-11Source?
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:42:06 -0800
Hi Jim,

Good rant.

I have mil-spec (MIL-C-17/6B imprinted) RG11/U on spools in my garage.  I'm
trying to remember the mill, probably Carol or Times.  It's not very new,
I've had it several years, probably mfd in 1990 or so; but, it's unused and
has been stored in a dark, dry environment so is "new."

Nothing special about the mil spec other than it's solid PE dielectric with
real copper conductors, unlike a lot of commercial equivalents (which may
actually be better in some ways) that are cellular PE, or have clad aluminum
conductors and other stuff.  The mil-spec stuff is more mechanically robust
by design and materials used; doesn't make it better for our purposes, and
probably makes it a whole lot worse for CATV use.  For CATV, the quad
shielded RG6 the cable companies use blows away RG11/U in just about every
respect, including cost.

That's why when I heard the application, I recommended against using RG11/U.
The "thick net" cables used commercially nowadays are better in every way I
can think of except mechanical strength.  The old solid poly stuff is
stronger, in that you can drive a car over it and it still works.

73!

Steve WB2WIK/6