Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Longer or higher?

To: "Derek Cohn/WB0TUA" <vibroplex@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Longer or higher?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:48:13 -0500

On Feb 15, 2005, at 12:30 AM, Derek Cohn/WB0TUA wrote:

Would I be better off adding wire to the antenna or having the ends higher in the air. I primarily operate 80, 40, 30, and 20 CW. Any advice?

First, go higher. The single most import dimension of a horizontal antenna is the height above ground in wavelengths. For 80m, even 40 feet is pretty low.

100 feet is plenty long enough for all bands except perhaps 80m. There might be some minor benefit to going to 120-140 feet, but it could make the antenna harder to tune up on 40m.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901