Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Longer or higher?

To: "W. E. Bailey" <ebailey@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Longer or higher?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:53:35 -0500

On Feb 15, 2005, at 1:04 AM, W. E. Bailey wrote:

I would suggest that you think about shortening the length of your antenna
(instead of lengthening it). I know that this sounds counter-intuitive, but
take a look at L.B. Cebik's article on an 88 foot long doublet
(http://www.cebik.com/88.html).

Dr. Cebik did his modeling of the 88 foot dipole at 100 feet and 70 feet horizontal. We're talking about a 40 foot high inverted V. There's no reason to emulate Dr. Cebik's design, since at 40 feet and an inverted V, the antenna would have none of the benefit.

Making the antenna 88 feet would be a mistake.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901