Re: [TowerTalk] Ground system design, RF vs AC

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground system design, RF vs AC
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:33:39 -0600
You wrote:
>The problem with connecting the AC green wire to the radio room ground and
then connecting my bulkhead "SPG" to a new ground rod or even a perimeter
ground connection is that my radio installation becomes part of the AC
protective ground system for the house.  That is, any house fault or other
current will partly be routed through my radio ground system. Is that what
we want?

When you say "house fault" I assume you are referencing a ground fault
circuit interrupter (GFCI) system.  Such a system interacts with the white
neutral ground, not the green safety ground.  So the answer is yes, we do
want the safety ground connected.

>If I install a new ground rod system near the radio room, it is unlikely it
will be as good as the water pipe ground (about 35-40 ft
distant) that is used by the house AC.

Close may be better than good.  If you don't have a lot of soil to work with
there are other ways to get decent conductivity.  There is plenty of info on
the polyphaser site.

>If all wiring and equipment are protected by and bonded to this plane, why
do we care if there is a good earth connection at all?

All of those electrons have to go/come-from somewhere.  They can be routed
through the slab or the earth.  Take your pick.

As long as all equipment grounds are at the same potential as all other
ground systems, little to no current will flow between them, which is what
you want to prevent lightning damage.

Keith NM5G