Re: [TowerTalk] Cleaner

To: "Bill Aycock" <baycock@direcway.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cleaner
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 07:11:54 -0800
From: "Bill Aycock" <baycock@direcway.com>

Jim- anyone selling ultrasonic cleaning solution by the gallon would have a
hard time convincing  OSHA that it was only for personal use. I get the
copies I want from the net.
Bill
---

True enough.. but my comments were more directed at the statements that
"they are legally required to provide the MSDS", which is just not the case.
And, the onus is probably on the employer to make sure that they have the
MSDS information, not on the manufacturer to provide it. I would think that
OSHA only regulates what employers do in connection with their workers, not
the sale of products (for instance, OSHA can't ban the sale of a particular
product, as far as I know, unlike the Consumer Product Safety Commission).
The remedy is that OSHA can stick it to an employer if they don't provide
the appropriate hazard communication information, and if an employer can't
get the needed information from the seller of a product, then the employer
is going to be wasting their money buying it (unless they're going to resell
it, unchanged).

The net is a useful source of MSDS information, but some manufacturers don't
put their info on the net (for proprietary reasons).

The OSHA rules really only require that the information be made readily
available to the employees who may be exposed occupationally, not to the big
wide world. If you have a proprietary trade-secret formulation, you can have
the employees sign non-disclosure agreements.