[TowerTalk] Verticals and Vertical Dipoles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Verticals and Vertical Dipoles
From: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:41:15 -0800
I had a 40m vertical dipole up a couple of years ago.  I took it down
last year because of poor performance (ie. worse than my 40m dipole at
40 feet).  Can someone give me some possible reasons for why the
performance would be so poor?  I thought vertical dipoles lacked the
"ground loss" problem of a ground mounted 1/4 wave vertical with a bad
ground plane.  Was I wrong?  If so, what can be done to improve the
performance of a vertical dipole?  Elevate it?  Add ground radials?
Nothing?

FYI - Signals on the vertical dipole were consistently 3 to 6 db below
my dipole (for US and DX).  Once in awhile they were nearly equal, but
I never heard a signal louder on the vertical dipole.  To make matters
worse, the QRN levels on the vertical dipole were consistently 1 to 2
S Units higher which would have eliminated any gain achieved through
lower elevation gain on the vertical.