[TowerTalk] (no subject)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <chchandler@adelphia.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] (no subject)
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:19:49 -0500
Extensively snipped....comment below

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:11:50 -0500
From: "Chuck Chandler" <chchandler@adelphia.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection for wire antennas

The plans for the new QTH proceed apace... many thanks to all who have tried
mightily to set me straight!  I learn more from this list than any other.

In the past one of my favorite all-around antennas has been a dipole (as
long and as high as I can get it, more or less straight) fed in the center
with ladder line and used through a tuner.

 Moving to an area with
around 60 lightning-days per year that may not be sufficient!

I think what I need to do is run the ladder line to the balun, then coax
inside as before, but where do I attach the lightning protection?
-0-

Chuck,

The older arrl handbooks showed lightning gaps for open wire line.
They had opposing sets of points, wide enough apart not to arc
under normal power...but close enough that ESD or lightning would
arc to ground.

You could run copper ground strap up the exterior of the house,
and implement this at the point where the OWL goes to the balun.

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org