Re: [TowerTalk] lightning & trees

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning & trees
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:53:08 -0500
> A sharp pointed object is more likely to be hit (arc) than a
> blunt smooth object, and a taller object more likely than a
> shorter object if the shapes (even at a small close view)
> are the same. Series resistance in the path has almost
> nothing to do with it, that's why they don't worry about
> using resistor plugs and wires in car engines but they care
> a great deal about the sparkplug's gap edges being sharp.
> 73 Tom

So, my tower and antennas with their pointy elements at 55+
feet are more likely than my steel house to generate streamers
and get hit -- just no guarantees!

This discussion did draw me to look more closely at the Web
site picture of the ridge on my house and to think about some
raw/rough edges that may need to be rounded and/or closed.

Much as I hate to say it my tower and antennas may become
sacrificial elements in the defense of the house!

Hmmmmm.

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

           |_|___|_|
           | | & | |
              {|
      /\      {|
     /  \     {|
    /    \    {|
============\ #    West Central Florida
http://bibleseven.com/steelhouse1.html
Ham PC = 100% Linux Novell-Suse 9.2
Halli, Heathkit, Homebrew, MFJ, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!