Re: [TowerTalk] lightning & trees

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning & trees
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:16:55 -0500
 > Jim Lux wrote:
> At 09:32 AM 3/18/2005, doc wrote:
> The precise direction streamers will move is effectively random, in that it
> is largely influenced by very small scale changes in the ionization of the
> gas, typically the result of a random cosmic ray or some such.
> Imagine a perfect sphere of charge with enough charge for the surface to be
> just under breakdown (30kV/cm roughly).  Now imagine a cosmic ray, or some
> other random irregularity (dust particle, ice crystal, etc.) that changes
> the field next to the sphere.  The breakdown will start there.  The current
> will flow, changing the fields, etc.etc.etc.

Wow, a cosmic ray, y'all are bringing me back to my summer of reading
science fiction every day for the entire school break!  ;-)

Seriously, it is interesting to postulate that a subtle ripple in the
atmosphere of the earth from an event millions of miles away on the
surface of the sun might be responsible for the streamer that draws the
lightning strike that kills a professor on the campus of USF, a mother
standing in her yard, or destroys a home.

> Measuring breakdowns in a lab environment, one uses an external source of
> ionization (i.e. short UV or radioactive source) to reduce the variability.

So we postulate that the variables are too subtle and the potential
area of streamer activity too broad to successfully predict any
specific area of strikes?

What about mitigation via creating an area where those subtle
disturbances are neutralized as they occur for the purpose of
protecting a specific site?

We do know what the nature of the environment must be in order
for streamers to be created, or to at least survive for long,
should we not then be able to prevent or neutralize them as
they begin to form?

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

           |_|___|_|
           | | & | |
              {|
      /\      {|
     /  \     {|
    /    \    {|
============\ #    West Central Florida
http://bibleseven.com/steelhouse1.html
Ham PC = 100% Linux Novell-Suse 9.2
Halli, Heathkit, Homebrew, MFJ, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!