Re: [TowerTalk] lightning & trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning & trees
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:17:52 -0600
The problems encountered in measurement of lightning strikes is similar to
those associated with weather prediction.  You know a storm is brewing but
the data needed to predict where, when and how much is just too overwhelming
to be absolutely accurate.  Streamers can happen just about anywhere,
regardless of the method used to direct them to one location or the other.
However, in general you can say the streamers are the path of least
resistance (impedance) from positive and negative sources.  In the case of a
strike from cloud to earth, I believe the leading streamer is actually a
group of small streamers spread out over a large area.  Thus, a single
strike can hit tree, power and phone lines simultaneously with various
amounts of current to each.

Keith