Re: [TowerTalk] Model done for 4SQ supported by center tower

To: "Peter Grillo" <ah3c@frii.com>,"'StellarCAT'" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Model done for 4SQ supported by center tower
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:59:55 -0800
At 01:38 AM 3/23/2005, Peter Grillo wrote:
>I've had similar thoughts.  Whoever is willing to answer this question might
>wish to suggest hanging vertical dipoles instead of requiring a ground
>planes under the vertical elements.  Structurally, this would be a benefit.
>Same questions apply.  Any takers?

Sure, you don't have to have a ground plane for the "other side" of the
dipole, but ground effects due to loss in the near field will still be
evident.   How would you run feedlines?  horizontally (catenary) from the
tower?  Up the inside of the element to the half way point (decoupling is a
challenge, but maybe the currents on the feedline as it goes away from the
bottom could be compensated some other way).