Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Re: [BULK] - Re: [BULK] - Re: [BULK] - R e:[BUL

To: 'Kelly Johnson' <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Re: [BULK] - Re: [BULK] - Re: [BULK] - R e:[BULK] - R e: Tower Restrictions
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:33:52 -0800
Kelly, I appreciate what you're saying.  I still contend you can buy a nice,
modern home free of deed restrictions *almost* anywhere, if you know where
to look -- including Silicon Valley.

As for never having been to Silicon Valley, home to the "dot gones," that's
sure not true.  I've had an office in Mountain View for 9 years, and visit
there all the time.  My associates there live everwhere from Burlingame down
to Los Gatos, and over to Fremont, and up to Pleasanton.  That's a bit
beyond the Valley, but as I'm sure you know, the Valley has been
artificially extended to pretty much include these places, as it's "boomed."

>From what I've found, and I've spent a lot of time investigating the real
estate in the area, probably the best trick in the book is to consult with
local long-time residents who are also active hams and *really* know
everything about everywhere.  When I thought nothing around Los Gatos
allowed amateur towers, John N6JL stepped in to immediately correct that
misconception, pointing out his 70' freestanding, telescoping tower on his
lot there, in the hills (at the time).

I do agree, though, that it's very likely anyone wishing to buy a home free
of deed restrictions in that and many areas will likely pay a premium for
same; further reinforcing my contention that covenant-free properties are
not only worth more today, but they'll appreciate faster as well.  The only
problem for new homeowners, as you aptly point out, is the initial "buy in."
-WB2WIK/6

Yes and no.  Sure, there are CC&R free areas in most older cities but
the problem is that unless you are willing to buy a "fixer upper" in
an old part of town and spend lots of money bringing it up to "modern
standards" it's not affordable for most people.  As an example, my zip
code has a median home price now of $680k.  What do you get for your
$680k?  Well, on my street it will get you a 2bd/1ba 1100 sq. ft. 65
year old fixer upper on a 10,000 sq. ft lot.  It will likely have
hardwood floor with vinyl in the kitchen/bathrooms, outdated
appliances, no air conditioning, minimal insulation, and a roof that
needs work.  For about $250/sq. ft you can remodel and bring it beyond
the 1950's into the 21st century with air conditioning, granite
countertops, new appliances, and maybe another bedroom and/or
bathroom.  When you're all done you may wind up with a quaint, full of
character 1600 sq. ft house for about $900k.  Compare that to the
tract homes being sold about 2 miles away where you get a brand new
2000 sq. ft home on a 4000 sq. ft lot in an HOA controlled development
for about $600k.  It cost you $300k more for that big lot and
old-style (albeit filled with more character) home in a CC&R free part
of town.  Some people can afford it...most can't.  Most (esp. first
time home buyers and people under 40) are forced by economics into the
tract home.  BTW, $900k in this neighborhood is on the LOW end for
major remodels.  A large number of remodels in this part of town
involve tearing down an existing 1000 sq. foot home on 1/4 acre and
replacing it with a 4000 sq. ft McMansion which ends up selling for 2
mln when its done.

Yes, in theory, you can find CC&R free properties, but the fact is
that it will cost you considerably more for considerably less in those
"desirable" parts of town.  In other words, most hams are priced out
of those areas unless they are married to an XYL that doesn't mind
small, old, fixer uppers :-)

Anyone that says "you can always find suitable CC&R free properties"
has never been to Silicon Valley, Ca.  The housing boom in Silicon
Valley started in the early 70's (when anti-antenna CC&Rs and HOAs)
really came into vogue.  Finding a CC&R/HOA free home in this area
requires >= 1mln net worth OR a willingness to live in a "substandard"
home.  For those of us that aren't multi-millionaires the choice is a
"substandard" home OR antenna restrictions.  I've chosen the
"substandard" home, but my XYL isn't always happy with that choice :-)