Re: [TowerTalk] Connectors for LMR-600

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Connectors for LMR-600
From: William Q Meeker <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:32:53 -0600

I want to thank everyone who provided responses to my questions about
connectors for Times LMR-600. All responses were directed to the reflector,
so I will not bother to summarize.

I did, however, get the following information directly from a Times
Microwave representative, Joe Lanoue, when I enquired about the non-obvious
differences between the EZ-600-NMC and EZ-600-NMC-2 connectors on their web
page:

"The EZ-600-NMC gas been superceded by the NMC-2.  List price is $20.90 each."

  I was also told that TC in the name means "Times Connector" but always
implies the need to solder the pin.

NMC means N connector, clamp
NMH means N connector, crimp
UMC means UHF connector clamp
and so on.

As a reminder, the NMC-2 is a solderless "clamp" type connector. It
requires no special tools if you can measure and cut carefully (but the
automatic strip tool, which I see is available from Cabelexperts, is
slick). The Times web page has a useful video of the install procedure,
including the use of their strip tools, for EZ-600-NMC-2 (and other EZ)
connector(s).

Although the NMC-2 appears on the Times web page, I could not find the
NMC-2 on the web pages of any of the standard vendors serving hams. After
inquiring, however, Davis RF told me that they could supply these
connectors for $16.99 each. I ordered some for my own project.

73,

Bill, K0KT

William Q. Meeker
Department of Statistics