Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna analyzers

To: "K4SB" <k4sb@bellsouth.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna analyzers
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 13:14:35 -0700
> I don't have any nearby stations with my 259, but a friend of mine
> does. What I did was use an ICE 160 meter low pass filter which has an
> extremely high cutoff frequency at 1.6 Mhz. It's normally used on a
> short beverage along with an ICE preamp for 160.

The high pass filter will transform any impedance other than
50 ohms to a different impedance.  Thus doing the above
downgrades your 259 to a very expensive VSWR meter (not
an impedance meter).  If you only want to measure VSWR,
MFJ makes much cheaper VSWR meters with built in oscillators.
(You'll still need the filter with those models; they're
not RF proof either)>

Rick N6RK