Re: [TowerTalk] Pay me now or pay me later

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, "mike l dormann" <w7dra@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pay me now or pay me later
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 03:39:41 -0400

> You guys that put up big towers need to read the book, "Younger Next
> Year".

> Seriously. Towers scare me.

To each his own.   There are things that scare me, but climbing a well
engineered tower is not one.  I go up several times a season just to shoot a
scenic panorama while standing on the tower top plate.  I still do all my
own maintenance as well.  I put the tower up completely by hand with the
only other help pulling on the rope to the gin pole.  I will readily admit
there are many towers I refuse to climb and some are not very tall.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower.htm

Actually I should climb it a lot more for the exercise.

I fly high performance, complex, aircraft with retractable landing gear and
I still like to do aerobatics.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/833R/833R_frame.htm (I have some better photos
to replace these)

I'll be 65 in a bit over two months.

My wife is an ardent bicyclist.  She rides in the neighborhood of 2500 miles
per year.  Me?  I ride a bit, but the thought of riding on these roads does
scare me.  OTOH, I've never been hurt riding, but I shortened my TA up by a
foot and a half or more when a GMC Jimmy pulled out in front of me.  I
didn't even get hurt, but it put the right front tire under the instrument
panel and moved the firewall up against the back of the dash.  There was no
longer any space between the bottom of it and the fire wall.

A couple years ago when that car bomb went off in Bali?  My daughter was
only about a 100 yards from the it.  She left Indonesia less than a week
before the big Tsunami this year.

I consider tower climbing relatively tame stuff.  <:-))

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com