Re: [TowerTalk] 75 meter antenna

To: "Joe Barnes" <n4jbk@bellsouth.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75 meter antenna
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:56:01 -0400
Joe:

     I suggest two alternatives:
1.  Lower your existing inverted V to around 50 feet or so and make it a
dipole.  Allow the ends to droop a bit if you have to, but not too close to
the ground.
2.  Erect a full-wave horizontal loop for 75 M (appr 260 feet in
circumference) using your existing two towers and possibly two additional
structures or other supports.  Search on the 'Net for <Loop Skywalker.>

     I had a loop at 25-30 feet above ground at my QTH for about 9 years
before I erected my tower.  The loop operated like gangbusters on 75 and
40M, launching a signal at a high take-off angle (nearly straight up) and
coming down within 400 miles or so with minimal attenuation.

     I'm guessing you're planning on using the antenna for local nets or rag
chewing, right?  The antennas I described above are also known as NVIS (Near
Vertical Incidence Skywave) or cloud warmer antennas.  Their principal
distinction is their high take-off angle.  These antennas have been
investigated by numerous sources over the years, mainly the military, for
use in short-range HF communications systems.  There are a few books
available on the subject, one of which is reviewed at
http://www.antennex.com/shack/Jan02/nvis.html .  I have the book and
couldn't put it down (a true geek, am I.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F